For Tuesday: Shelley, Frankenstein: Vol.2 Chapter VII (7) to Vol.3, Chapter IV (4): OR, the next 7 Chapters
![]() |
| Self-portrait of Goya (c.1790's) |
Answer TWO of the following:
Q1: When Victor bids farewell to Elizabeth (in Vol.3, Chapter 1), the 1831 text says that she “acquiesced; but she was filled with disquiet at the idea of my suffering, away from her, the inroads of misery and grief...she bade me a tearful, silent farewell.” However, the original 1818 version of the novel reads: “
Q2: Why does Victor renege on creating a companion mate for the Creature? Particularly when, after a long debate with the creature in Chapter IX (Book 2), Victor finally muses, “I was moved. I shuddered when I thought of the possible consequences of my consent; but I felt that there was some justice in his argument." Are we supposed to applaud his last-minute heroics? Or does this show us his true identity as a murderer (of women, especially)?
Q3: When Victor finds
Q4: After the death of Clerval, when Victor is languishing in an Irish prison, he reflects, “The whole series of my life appeared to be as a dream; I sometimes doubted if indeed it were all true, for it never presented itself to my mind with the force of reality." How does Shelley complicate the matter of Victor’s innocence or guilt in the final chapters? Is their more evidence for his crimes—or the Creature’s existence?
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment