Monday, March 23, 2020

Announcements for Starting Up Again

Welcome Back (Almost)! I know the class won't be the same as it was, but I do intend to keep reading along with you guys, and giving you questions, a few videos (see below), and one more paper assignment late in the semester. However, here are the changes I propose for the class going forward:

1. No more MWF classes. Instead, I'll give you two sets of readings/questions, one at the beginning of the week, and one at the end. So your Monday questions will be due on Friday, and your Friday the following Monday. The readings will follow roughly the same schedule as on the syllabus, except I'll cut the movie and the supplementary readings I had planned prior to Spring Break.

2. Once a week, I'll also post a short lecture (10-15 minutes, approx) along with a Powerpoint to either introduce historical context or highlight aspects of the reading. These are versions of what I would have otherwise done in class, just minus the great discussion.  I think it would be difficult to get everyone in class together to do a live chat, but at least this way, you can still hear me ramble about each work and say the word "interesting" a dozen times.

3. Each lecture will have its own post, and on the post, I'll ask you a short question based on the lecture. Respond to this question as a "comment" on the blog post (you shouldn't need to create an account to do this). Just click on "comments" on the bottom of the post and write your own. This will replace your Participation grade since you obviously won't be able to come to class and talk in any other way. 

4. PAPER #2 will be due no later than Friday, April 3rd. Please feel free to turn it in earlier. E-mail me a copy of the paper at jgrasso@ecok.edu. I'll e-mail it back to you with comments. 

PLEASE write me with any questions or concerns, and I'll be happy to help. The recorded lectures will be in Zoom, so if you want to chat, I can also open up a Zoom chat at any time, in lieu of coming to my office. I'll post the lecture on Colonialism and Katherine Mansfield in a day or two, so be sure to watch it and respond with your comment (okay, it's 17 minutes long, but that's better than 50 minutes, right?) 

Hope everyone is doing okay and I look forward to reading your work again! I miss our class and hope that we can all have a face-to-face class together again soon, if only in the Fall semester.

--Joshua Grasso

No comments:

Post a Comment

For Tuesday: Orwell, 1984, finish Part Two, Chapters II-X (2-10)

NOTE: Try to read as much of Part Two as you can, though I understand if you don't have time to finish it. Since we only have two days l...